Salvage Vehicle | Register Salvage | Aseguranza de Auto

Resgistration: How to Register a Safe Vehicle in California

Driving a salvage vehicle is like rescuing a car. It takes a lot of work to re-register a salvaged vehicle.

First of all: what is a rescued car?

There are different types of salvage vehicles defined by the California DMV:

  • Rescued vehicle: it has been destroyed or damaged in such a way that it is considered too expensive to repair it.
  • Resurrected Rescue: A salvage vehicle that has been repaired and registered.
  • Junk Car: A car that has been reported to the DMV as dismantled.

The official definitions are slightly different, the process for re-registering a salvaged vehicle and holding a discarded car is similar to the titling and re-registration of a salvaged car. The differences will be explained below.

Salvaged Vehicle

Certificate of CA recovery

Once a total loss settlement has been agreed upon, the insurance company (or its Salvage Pool representative) or the car owner must request the Certificate of Recovery within 10 days.

To request a Salvage Certificate, you must send:

  • A complete Application for Rescue Certificate or Nonrepairable Vehicle Certificate (Form Reg 488C).
  • Proof of ownership with an appropriate endorsement: Certificate of title.
  • Application for duplicate or paperless title (form REG 227).
  • Any sales invoice available.
  • Odometer certification (if there is no space in the certificate of title).
  • Plates If you do not have them, provide an explanation in the application.
  • Verification of the vehicle, if the title is from out of state.
  • Payment of the $ 21 recovery certificate fee.
  • Registering a car rescued in California

To register a car rescued in CA, you will need ALL of the following:

  • An Application for Title or Registration completed (Form REG 343), signed by all owners.
  • Incorporate the cost of labor to the cost of the vehicle, even if the labor was done by you.
  • Proof of ownership of the vehicle, to include: A Certificate of Rescue or a Certificate of Salvage Application (Form Reg 488C), completed and / or sent with / within 10 days of the agreement with your insurance company.
  • A statement of facts (form REG 256).
  • The collection fee of $ 2.
  • The title of the vehicle OR a request for the duplicate or paperless title (form REG 227).
  • Transfer and reassignment of vehicle / vessel (form REG 262), if you need to send an odometer reading. Collect this in your DMV office. Or the sales invoice (form REG 135) And the power of attorney (form REG 260), if it does not.
  • A vehicle inspection conducted by the California DMV, using a vehicle verification (form REG 31) or the California Highway Patrol (CHP), using a CHP Inspection Certification (Form CHP 97C).
  • An official brake and light adjustment certificate from an authorized repair shop. See below for more information.
  • The appropriate rates (listed below).
  • If you re-register an abandoned car, you will need a title or registration request (form REG 343).
  • Sales invoice (form REG 135).
  • Power of attorney (form REG 260).
  • An inspection of the vehicle with the DMV or CHP.
  • The official Certificate of adjustment of brakes and lights.
  • The required rates.

Salvaged Vehicle

Inspections of salvage vehicles

Obtaining the inspection of your salvage vehicle is a mandatory part of reactivating your vehicle for use in California.

While you are there, be sure to bring:

  • Proof of ownership of the vehicle.
  • The sales receipt, if applicable.
  • Receipts for any repairs made on the car.
  • The inspection fee of $ 50.

You must also obtain an official Brake and Light Inspection Certificate at a repair facility authorized by the state. Specific vehicles, such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles, may require a certificate from a specialized workshop. Contact us for more information. All this is a lot of work and it is very confusing, we know, that is why you can take what you need from this blog post or you can come to us, we will do it for you.

(888)350-5050                       (855)311-1168



1310 Chamberlain Ave.

Suite A

Bakersfield, CA 93305




1420 High St.

Suite E

Delano, CA 932151




497 E. Center Ave. Suite A

Earlimart, CA 93219

(661) 849-2000



802 Navajo Rd. Suite D

Perris, CA 92570



2560 Perris Blvd. Suite J2

Perris, CA 92571




917 7th St.

Wasco, CA 93280

(661) 877-4343

Nuestra puntuación.
[Total: 75 Promedio: 5/5]

Posted ByAseguranzaDeAutoOnAugust 6,2019


Nuestra puntuación.
[Total: 75 Promedio: 5/5]